Legal Assistance Programs for Seniors

Are you making the most of your money? Answer 23 questions to get personalized tips on money management & budgeting Get started

Legal Services and Assistance Programs provide free legal assistance in civil matters (not criminal cases). You can get free legal advice and/or legal representation in court or agency hearings.

Help is available on various topics that can include:

  • Employment: Helps you get unemployment compensation and benefits; protects your rights if you are a victim of discrimination in the work area; and makes sure you get the minimum wage or overtime payments you deserve.

  • Family: Represents you in court if you are a victim of domestic violence and makes sure you and your children are safe; helps with child custody, visitation rights, divorce, name change, elder abuse and exploitation, domestic violence, and mental health commitment; helps get child support in divorce and paternity cases; and assists social services in guardianship and conservatorship of minors.

  • Health, Disability and Income Maintenance: Helps you get and/or keep cash benefit programs (Social Security, SSI, SSDI, and TANF); health care (Medicaid, Medicare and other health insurance programs); Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); unemployment benefits; Veterans benefits; and workers compensation.

  • Housing: Provides assistance to you and your family if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless; get access to emergency shelter and long-term housing; and assists with landlord/tenant issues (such as eviction defenses, rent disputes, illegal lockouts, utility cutoffs by landlords, housing discrimination, and public or subsidized housing disputes).

  • Consumer and Finance: Provides help with bankruptcy, debt relief, contracts and warranties, credit access, energy and public utilities, loans and installment purchases, and unfair sales practices.

  • Immigration:Helps you get legal status to stay in the United States if you are an undocumented battered woman, fleeing persecution in your own country, or an undocumented minor; represents you in removal proceedings and political asylum cases; and provides assistance to refugees.

  • Individual Rights: Helps you if you have mental health issues, physically disabled rights, and long-term care resident’s rights.

  • Miscellaneous: Helps you with other issues related to licenses, general wills/estates, living wills, and powers of attorney.

Can I get help?

You can get legal assistance if you have limited income and you need help with a civil issue. Generally, if you are 60 years of age and over or you are a victim of domestic violence you do not need to meet the income limit.

How do I get help?

  • If you are an older adult, you can contact your local Area Agencies on Aging to get a referral for services.
  • To find your state’s legal aid office, you can go to LawHelp or the Legal Services Corporation.